Handling Changes After A Divorce Decree Is Issued

After agreements and orders have been established as part of a divorce, it is important that any changes to these arrangements go through the court. If they do not, the party that is taking it upon themselves to modify the orders may be held in contempt of court for violating the agreements.

When changes happen in your life, we understand that your divorce arrangements may be affected. At the Law Office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq., in Warwick, Rhode Island, lawyer Steven Hirsch confidently handles all types of divorce modifications and post-divorce changes. He can help clients seek a modification through the courts or mediation.

Contact us at 401-287-2079 to schedule your free consultation where we will discuss the process with you. We work hard to help our clients understand their rights and the proper process through which we may be able to obtain a post-divorce modification.

Life Changes May Affect Family Law Matters

Any change in circumstances of one of the parties to a divorce may result in the need for post-divorce changes. Divorce modifications are very standard and can often be sought for any type of change that affects your ability to follow through on the child support, child custody, alimony (spousal support) or other orders that may have been established as part of your divorce. The loss of a job, the gaining of a job, a change in income, a new marriage, a new child, a child moving from one parent's home to the others, a move out of state and many other changes are just some that we often deal with as part of our family law and divorce practice.

Child Support Modifications

Many individuals do not understand that child support must be paid, and is therefore modifiable, until a child turns 18 or 19 if he or she is still in school. If a child is severely disabled before turning 18, child support may continue past those ages. If something happens that affects a parent's ability to pay child support, he or she cannot just stop paying. A modification to the child support order can help reflect the changes that have occurred, such as the loss of income.

Child Custody Modifications

Whether a child decides that he or she may prefer living with the noncustodial parent or a parent wishes to relocate with the child out of state, the changes to any custody and visitation arrangements must be court-approved or agreed to by the other parent.

Contact a Warwick Post-Divorce Changes Attorney Today

Steven Hirsch represents post-divorce modification clients in Warwick, Providence, Cranston and the neighboring towns of Metropolitan Providence, Kent and South County. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with weekend appointments available. Contact us by email or by phone at 401-287-2079 for more information or to schedule an appointment.