Were You Hurt at Work in Rhode Island?

If you have a workers' compensation injury in Rhode Island, you need to do several things immediately. The first steps you should take include:

  • Notify your supervisor immediately.
  • Carefully look around to see who saw your accident; you may need to have witnesses later on.
  • Complete a written incident report.
  • Seek medical attention immediately.
  • If the medical provider gives you a slip to be out of work, be sure to bring it to your place of employment or to a supervisor or HR Department and get the name of the person you gave it to. Always keep a copy for yourself.
  • Seek legal representation.

Your employer, or most likely, its insurance carrier may not begin to process your claim until they have certain documents and have completed an investigation. That is why it is so important to complete the accident report as soon as possible. If there were witnesses (not just people who you "think" may have seen it), be sure to name them.

You have the right to seek the medical attention of your choice. Your employer cannot insist that you go to one particular emergency facility. Often, they will send you to a friendly facility that they have a relationship with and they will try to send you back to work prematurely.

Many clients have waited weeks and months before they seek medical attention, especially if they begin to receive a check from the workers compensation insurance carrier. However, you need someone to immediately look over the documents to verify:

  • The calculation of your average weekly wage and comp rate.
  • The description of the injury, so that it is complete and accurate.
  • To review your medical reports to see if you are totally disabled or partially disabled.

We will insure that you receive the correct payments and that the injury is correctly described so that you can get treatment in the future for all injured parts of your body. We will also tell you about your rights to see various doctors for your injury. You should worry about your medical recovery while we concentrate on getting you the benefits that you deserve.

Contact Warwick workers' compensation attorney Steven Hirsch by email or by phone at 401-287-2079 to schedule a consultation.

Establishing The Employer's Liability for your