Call 401-287-2079
To Reach Our Office

July 2015 Archives

What is the Office of Child Support Services not allowed to do?

Last week, this blog discussed the role the Office of Child Support Services (OCSS) has in Rhode Island. We went over what the office is permitted to do on child support orders. Today, we will look at the issue from a different perspective, and discuss what the office may not do.

What is the role of the RI Office of Child Support Services?

Sometimes, a Rhode Island parent needs to establish paternity to begin receiving child support payments. Other times, Rhode Island parents need assistance in establishing or enforcing an order for child support. In both cases, these parents may turn to the Office of Child Support Services for help. One may wonder, what services does the Office of Child Support Services provide?

Acknowledging Rhode Island paternity for child custody

Some say it takes a village to raise a child, and while this may be the case for some Rhode Island families, children may at least benefit from having the care and involvement of two loving parents. However, a parent's involvement in his or her child's life can be disrupted, if a divorce occurs or if the parents were never married. This may be especially true for fathers who sometimes find that their right to child custody or visitation is denied as a matter of course, rather than based on any particular shortcomings.

No prenup? A RI postnuptial agreement may help

When wedding bells are ringing in their ears, some Rhode Island couples may be loathe to enter into a prenuptial agreement, seeing it as unromantic or unnecessary. However, nothing is further from the truth. Prenuptial agreements can not only address the fact that many marriages may end up in divorce, but they can address what to do with a person's assets in the event of one's death. For some couples, planning out finances ahead of time can be a sensible thing to do.

Rhode Island mediation can settle post-divorce modifications

As Rhode Islanders who have gone through a divorce know, life is ever changing. It does not stay the same. Marriages end, and new life paths begin. This is true, even after the final divorce decree is signed. A child custody order may need to be modified to suit the changing needs a growing child. A child support order may need to be changed, if the paying spouse loses his or her job. A spousal support order may end once the receiving spouse has become self-supporting.

Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Situation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq

Office Address :

100 Jefferson Boulevard Suite 315 Warwick, RI 02888 Phone: 401-287-2079 Fax: 401-352-0029 Warwick Law Office Map

Office Number :