Call 401-287-2079
To Reach Our Office

The right approach to a child support modification

A non-custodial parent in Rhode Island who is unable to afford child support payments may be tempted to simply not pay them. However, this can be a costly decision to make that is certainly not in the best interests of the child. As a previous post mentioned, failing to pay child support could result in a license suspension. There are other penalties as well that the non-custodial parent may experience when falling behind in child support payments.

Instead of simply stopping child support payments, a parent in Rhode Island may request that the amount of child support payments owed be modified. Parents may be surprised to learn that in Rhode Island the non-custodial parent will be responsible for making child support payments until an official court-ordered child support modification is entered.

Paying child support is an important obligation. Non-custodial parents who wish to modify the amount of support owed may want to consider getting more information about the process. At the law office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq., we understand that sometimes a person's life circumstances change in a way that warrants a child support modification. In fact, it is not just the non-custodial parent who can ask the court for a child support modification -- the custodial parent can make such a request as well.

At the law office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq., we strive to help our clients understand their rights when it comes to child support modifications, as well as understanding their child support obligations under the law. Parents in Rhode Island who want more information on child support modifications may want to review the following child support modification overview to learn more.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Situation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq

Office Address :

100 Jefferson Boulevard Suite 315 Warwick, RI 02888 Phone: 401-287-2079 Fax: 401-352-0029 Warwick Law Office Map

Office Number :