Call 401-287-2079
To Reach Our Office

Modifying child support when circumstances have changed

When it comes to seeking a child support modification, residents of Rhode Island may think that it is only the paying parent that can do so. After all, even a small change in a parent's income can have a great effect on an individual's ability to meet his or her child support obligations. When a person loses his or her job, or has reduced work hours, that person may be in a circumstance in which he or she believes an existing child support order is no longer fair. In these circumstances, a parent may seek to have that child support order modified.

However, did you know that the parent receiving child support in Rhode Island may also seek to have it modified? For example, if the custodial parent finds that his or her child care costs, health care costs or cost of living have gone up, or if the child's monetary requirements have changed, the parent receiving child support may seek a child support modification.

In either case, when seeking a child support modification in Rhode Island, a parent generally needs to show that his or her financial circumstances has changed in a way that is "significant." It is important that parents in such situations are proactive. First of all, the court generally will not automatically review a child support order -- the parent seeking an adjustment must request it. Moreover, even informal arrangements between parents to change a child support order should be cemented by a court order in order to make them legally binding.

The professionals at the Law Office Of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq., have worked with many Rhode Island parents seeking child support modifications. They understand that sometimes circumstances beyond a parent's control may make it necessary for an existing child support order to be changed. Whether it is through out-of-court negotiations, mediation or litigation, Attorney Steven Hirsch is committed to representing his clients' interests. His child support webpage can be a great jumping off point for Rhode Island parents who want more information about child support modifications in their state.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Situation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq

Office Address :

100 Jefferson Boulevard Suite 315 Warwick, RI 02888 Phone: 401-287-2079 Fax: 401-352-0029 Warwick Law Office Map

Office Number :