Call 401-287-2079
To Reach Our Office

Life changes may warrant a child support modification

When parents in Rhode Island divorce, the noncustodial parent in general will pay child support to the custodial parent. However, this is usually not the end of the story. Life is rarely static; indeed it is ever-changing. For example, a parent could see a significant increase or decrease in their income. In other cases, new children may be born to one ex-spouse or the other after their divorce. In addition, a person's living arrangements may change, even years after their divorce.

When a person's life changes, affecting their finances in a significant way, it could affect their child support arrangements. In some cases the noncustodial parent's finances could take a turn for the worse, making it difficult for them to meet their monthly child support obligations. In other cases, the noncustodial parent's finances could see a positive change in a way that an increase in the amount of child support paid may be more fair to the custodial parent.

In either case, those seeking a modification to their child support arrangements, whether it is the noncustodial parent or the custodial parent, may not want to handle the matter alone. Instead, they may want to consult a Rhode Island attorney experienced in handling such matters. For example, the professionals at the Law Office of Steven J. Hirsch understand that their clients may have many questions about child support. They aim to see that if a modification is needed, that the end result is fair and appropriate for their client.

When seeking a child support modification, parents may need to move the court for such a modification and the court must approve such a change, in order for it to be legally enforeceable. An attorney can help parents through every step of the child support modification process. The following overview of child support modification in Rhode Island may help parents who want more information on this topic.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Situation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq

Office Address :

100 Jefferson Boulevard Suite 315 Warwick, RI 02888 Phone: 401-287-2079 Fax: 401-352-0029 Warwick Law Office Map

Office Number :