Call 401-287-2079
To Reach Our Office

Cohabitation, Children and Governmental Benefits

More people enter a Cohabitation Agreement.  Fewer couples are marrying as more live together without the formality of a marriage. Cohabiting couples buy or rent homes together, plan their futures together and bring up families together; often, people think that the only difference is a marriage certificate.

Couples should know how important it is to have both parent's names on the birth certificate. Not only does it avoid having to seek a paternity determination by the courts later, but it also leads to other rights for the child. Just imagine if the father's name does not appear on the child's birth certificate. Should something happen to the father, the children cannot claim any social security benefits from the father's account. If a parent dies, the deceased's minor children are entitled to survivor benefits if the father is on the birth certificate or there was a paternity determination. If the father is not listed on the child's birth certificate, the child will not receive benefits if the father is entitled to social security disability benefits. If a father receives total disability under the workers compensation law of Rhode Island, additional dependent benefits are awarded for each of the father's minor children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

Tell Us About Your Situation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Office of Steven J. Hirsch, Esq

Office Address :

100 Jefferson Boulevard Suite 315 Warwick, RI 02888 Phone: 401-287-2079 Fax: 401-352-0029 Warwick Law Office Map

Office Number :